Friday, March 3, 2017

Homemade Cottage Cheese in Pressure Cooker

Today I managed to make cottage cheese, but some people may call it farmer's cheese. I'm still not sure what the difference is. (If you know the difference, please leave a comment below!)
Growing up I saw my mom making it all the time, and it tasted so good, but I also remember the process of making it was so complicated that I even didn't want to try to participate or ask her to teach me how. But these days we have better technology, so we have so many kitchen gadgets.  Again I used my pressure cooker and just 2 ingredients to make my home made cottage cheese. The recipe I have is from one of my favorite groups on Facebook about Instapot and recipes you can make in it. Most of them are Russian recipes, and they're fast and simple to cook.
So here we go!

You will need
1 gallon of whole milk
Approx. 1 1/2 qt of buttermilk
Yes, that's it!
Directions
The original recipe says put it on warm for 2 hours - that didn't do much for me.
Maybe it depends of what kind of milk and buttermilk you have, I don't know. Anyways, after 2 hours I turned it on yogurt (which keeps it between 96.8° and 109.4° F) for 7 hours, and then it's done. Drain it through the cheesecloth (I got mine at WinCo for $2.50, or you can always find it on Amazon).


Hang it on the faucet to drain for 1-2 hours.
After that you can enjoy your home made cottage cheese.
P.S. Keep the liquid that's left from draining the cottage cheese. I have a great recipe of something you can make with it that I will be posting in a few days. You can store it in the fridge. Also you can substitute it for milk in any recipe.

Correction 3/5/2017: I said that the "yogurt" setting was the same as the "keep it warm" setting.  Not quite.  The two settings use different temperatures.  I've corrected that mistake above.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, please clarify for 2 hours on warm and than you change it yogurt setting for 7 hours? Thank you

    ReplyDelete