Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Homemade Yogurt in Instapot

When I got my Instapot, I didn't know anything about it, and particularly the yogurt option (I'm still learning, btw) - just that you have to make yogurt for 8 hours. I said I'm not crazy!!! I thought maybe it uses pressure - super low- but pressure for 8 hours! The idea of leave it running unattended didn't make me very comfortable. Later I learned how it all works. And that yogurt option keeps your ingredients on a certain temperature.
So I've decided to make yogurt today.


You will need
  • 1 Gallon 2% Milk
  • ¼ Cup yogurt with active cultures (I used Mountain High low fat Plain)
  • ¼ - ½ cup sweetener (optional)
  • Cheese cloth or milk bag
Directions
Pour your gallon of milk to the Instapot. Close the lid. It doesn't matter if you put the pressure vent into a venting position or not at this point. (Or at any point in the process, for that matter.)
Press the YOGURT button and press ADJUST right away. Screen will display BOIL. 
Leave it alone for about an hour. Then you will hear it beep. Don't miss it! Screen will display yogurt. Now you need to turn off your Instapot and cool off the milk to room temperature. Remove the pot from the Instapot. If you are in a hurry - you can fill your kitchen sink with some water and put the pot with the milk in it for some time to let it cool off faster.
Then once it's the right temperature, add 1/4 cup of yogurt. Mix with the wisk. Put it back to the Instapot. Push the yogurt button. The incubation process will start. Your Instapot will beep and it will take 8 hours. It will count up. So you should have 0:00 on your screen.
In 8 hours all you need to do is drain it using cheese cloth or milk bag, just like I showed you with the cottage cheese recipe.  I would recommend the milk bag, because it was kind of inconvenient and messy with the cheese cloth.
Let it hang in it for an hour.
The yogurt I made wasn't sweet. I like to add berries, jam or granola. 
If you want - you can add sweetener -1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Note: You need to add the yogurt to start the incubation process.  If you prefer, you can use a powdered yogurt starter as well.  You can find a starter on Amazon here.
STORAGE
I use an Ikea KORKEN glass jar. 1.9 qt. If you don't have an Ikea close by, you can order the jar from Amazon here, sold by Ikea. These jars are smaller than what I used, but you don't have to store this whole amount in one glass jar. You can see on the picture how much I made off this recipe.


If you are going to try it please leave feedback how you liked it. I also have a Pinterest board for this blog. Follow me and you will never miss a recipe!.

No comments:

Post a Comment