Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Plov/Pilaf

From Wikipedia
Pilaf (also known as pulaw, pulao, polow, plov and pilav) is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth.[1] In some cases, the rice may also attain its brown color by being stirred with bits of cooked onion, as well as a large mix of spices. Depending on the local cuisine, it may also contain meat and vegetables.
Pilaf and similar dishes are common to Balkan, Middle Eastern, Central and South Asian, East African, Latin American, and Caribbean cuisines.

I cooked huge beef roast this Sunday and it turned out great. But it was too much for our small family and of course we had a lot of leftovers.  So I decided to cook Plov. I didn't have recipe so this is what I did...
You will need
2 cups of uncooked rice
1 carrot
1 small onion
1,5 cup cooked meat (I used beef) chicken,pork or lamb will work. Lamb actually would be perfect.
Salt, pepper to taste
A little bit of paprika and a little bit of rice seasoning. (I used Ukrainian)

Derections
Saute onion and carrot with a little bit of oil.
In a pot mix water, rice, meat and add sauteed onion and carrot. Boil until rice is cooked. Don't forget to add seasonings. 
I cooked Plov in multicooker. I use it to cook everything except desert. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-FRC-800-Fuzzy-Logic-Technology-Rice-Plus-Multi-cooker/4816959/product.html
It's so simple and healthy. My husband (pasta lover) says Plov was great. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment