Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Strawberry Jam in Instapot


Today I went ahead and prepared myself for a big kitchen fail. Canning is something I've never worked with. It just seemed so complex, like it requires a lot of tools and knowledge. But I decided to give it a try because the recipe I found somewhere online that was in the "I want to try one day" pile looked so easy. And it's an Instapot recipe! I was curious but didn't have any expectations.
First you will need to sterilize your mason jars.

Method:
Put them in a large pot. Completely cover them with water. Bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. If you are not quite ready  to fill the sterilized jars and proceed with canning your recipe, you can leave them in the pot for up to an hour. If you will wait longer - you will have to sterilize them again.

Recipe
1 pound of fresh strawberries (sliced)
2 1/3 cups of sugar
4 TBsp of lemon juice

Directions
Turn on the Instapot on saute, add sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.

Cook until all sugar is melted. Turn off the saute option. Put it on manual and let it cook for 5 minutes, natural release. If you have any chunks left - you can use masher to help with that.
Next turn on the saute option and cook your mixture for about 8 minutes. Turn off the saute.

Here is a little trick how you can know that the jam is ready. Before you start this recipe, put a little bowl in the freezer. Now put some of the jam into the bowl and put it back to the freezer for just a minute. Take it back out. Check it with your finger - if it's still runny, cook a few minutes longer.
I was worried that the jam would be like compote, but after a few hours it got thicker.
I'm trying to be honest in all of my posts so I don't know if this product is stable enough to keep it on the shelf in your pantry. I guess you can try with one jar in the fridge and one in the pantry.
Taste - what I love about this jam is that it's not sickly sweet, even though I added 2 1/3 cups of sugar. I'll definitely be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment